- Affect & Emotion
- Corporeal “bodily” Soul
- Ethereal Soul & Intuition
- Intellect & Memory
- Willpower & Destiny
So that brings the number of “brains” you have to 5 also (no coincidence):
[responsive] Anatomy of the Brain[/responsive]
- Left hemisphere – yang or “male side” – Fire
- Right hemisphere – yin or “female side” – Water
- Cerebellum – the “little brian” – Wood
- Pons/Medulla/Hippocampus aka “lower or primal CNS” aka “reptilian brain” – Earth
- Peripheral Nervous System = ENS + Golgi Tendon Reflexes – Wood
In other words, the TCM Five Element System is a clever, simple, pragmatic way of picturing the interactions of the nervous system and the Mind. Thus explaining, finally, to the ‘scientific minded’ the basics of why the mind-body connection works. Including “placebos” and “hypnosis.” The body is filled with mind, and the mind has a complete map of the body. It isn’t just 1 brain sitting on top of a flabby machine.
The WHOLE machine is one big interactive brain. In TCM we call it the “empire” in which YOU, the person with a name, is the sovereign. And like all kings and queens, you will feel subject to the wills, whims, and changes that come from within your five kingdoms and Empire.
*note – if you feel it’s all “mind over matter” try quitting an addiction or not having a BM.
[responsive] Whole Nervous System[/responsive]